Saturday, August 13, 2011

I wish my camera was a....

TGIF!  On the way to pick up Darius from daycare I was wondering about what to do for the weekend.  Enza was in Maine with friends till Sunday so it was just the boys for a few days.  Since didn't have to get home for for anything I stopped at Revere Beach.  We drive by almost every night because the way Darius says "go beeeeach!" amuses me.  Plus its only a minute from his daycare.  We took off our shoes and strolled around on the sand while Darius collected rocks.  Dinner time was approaching,  so I asked if my little man wanted chicken or pizza.  He screamed "CHICKEN!"  Decision made so off we went to the  "World Famous" Kelly's Roast Beef.  In the North Shore area of Massachusetts, where I live, every roast beef place claims they are world famous.  Kelly's is the only one that might actually live up to the claim.

We ordered dinner and headed off to find a spot to eat.  All the tables were full, as usual, so we sat at a bench.  I took Darius' meal out of the bag and grabbed him a chicken finger.  If he saw the french fries, he wouldn't touch the chicken.  We've learned to hide the fries till he he eats the rest of his meal, so I left them wrapped in foil.  I offered him the chicken and he slid off the bench and started running.  Guess he wanted pizza afterall.  He got about 10 steps away before I corralled him in and started back towards our food.  As we walked, I watched as 3 seagulls tore apart my son's dinner.  Clearly this was not their first rodeo.  They removed the foil from the plate and extracted the fries and chicken fingers with the precision of Seal Team 6.  The whole operation took about 5 seconds.  With full beaks, they flew off the the other side of the wall.
The scene of the crime
The predator birds lined up waiting for their next victim

My dinner was still in the bag, so they didn't touch it.  I still had one chicken finger in my hand so I gave it to Darius.  He took one bite and noticed the birds had dropped something on the ground.  "FRENCH FRIES!" As he was saying it, he tossed the rest of the chicken on the ground.    You gotta be shit'n me!  I looked for something to throw, but there wasn't anything around.  The seagulls were back on the wall again.  They were sitting there taunting me.  Waiting for us to walk away again so they could snatch the scraps left behind.  With every ounce of self control in me, we headed back to the car without a scene.  I sat in the car steaming and ate my roast beef sandwich. Darius ate my fries.  When we were done, I went back to shoot a few pictures. Thinking more of collecting evidence than composition and wishing the whole time that my camera was a gun.

Wish I was shooting bullets instead of pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment