Friday, August 26, 2011

Gone Fishing!

"Fishing!"  Darius exclaimed when my father-in-law asked if I wanted to take Darius on his first fishing trip.  We grabbed the poles, tackle box, diaper bag and loaded Darius into the car.  We set off for the shoreline of CT.  My father-in-law had gone fishing the morning before and was catching a lot of fish, so we headed back to the same spot. 

Our destination was about 40 minutes away.  Darius fell asleep about 30 minutes in.  We grabbed the gear and loaded Darius into his stroller, still asleep.  I had noticed a bridge that was raised when we were driving to our location and as it turns out, the fishing spot was below that very bridge.  There were many people fishing, but they had caught very few fish.  Darius was sleeping, so I took out my camera.

 

The bridge was interesting so I shot a few pictures of it.  Then a loud horn sounded several times and the bridge began to lower.  A few minutes after that a train came rushing through and .  What a racket between the horns and the train.  No one could sleep through that, not even Darius.  He was a little disoriented for a minute or two being woken up that way, but soon he was ready to fish.






I casted and he reeled.  He got the hang of it after a few times and was excited to reel the line in.  We continued doing this for about an hour.  Didn't catch a thing.  My father-in-law had one bite, but the fish got away.  Darius wanted a "Fishie! Fishie!"  Tough to explain to a toddler why there are no fish on a fishing trip.  His attention was waning and when he's bored, he gets into trouble. We needed to catch a fish STAT.

 
We moved to a new location a little further down the pier and set up.  My father-in-law continued fishing and Darius and I went for a walk, aka I was chasing Darius around the pier.  Everyone had empty buckets and no bites.  I heard, "I got one!" back towards where we just were.  It was my father-in-law.  He  began to reel it in and Darius ran over to check it out. I grabbed my camera.  Everyone on the pier was excited since at someone actually caught something.  Thank Goodness, Darius got to see a fish.  Success!  It was a little fish, but it was better than nothing.  "Catch a big one Nonno!"  My son was not impressed. 














  

1 comment:

  1. i love this Al! excellent pics and sweet story. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete